Sphinx and the QuTiP Developers' Guide

Overhauling the internals of a mathematical library is no good if no other developers on the team know how to use the new systems you’ve put in place, and don’t know why you’ve made the choices you’ve made. In the last week I’ve been writing a new QuTiP developers’ guide to the new data layer that I’m creating as part of my Google Summer of Code project, which has involved learning a lot more about the Sphinx documentation tool, and a little bit of GitHub esoterica.

Currently we don’t have a complete plan for how this guide will be merged into the QuTiP documentation, and where exactly it will go, so for now it is hosted on my own GitHub repository. I have also put up a properly rendered version on a GitHub pages site linked to the repository.

My Sphinx conf.py file for this repository is not (at the time of commit 0edf49e) very exciting. Fortunately, Sphinx largely just works out-of-the-box as one would expect from a mature Python project. Perhaps the boldest part of that file is the intersphinx_mapping dictionary, which uses the intersphinx built-in to link to other projects’ documentation also built with Sphinx.

Right now, the intersphinx documentation is perhaps a little lacking, and sometimes seems to just involve some hope (and some disappointment). In particular, I have several external references set up as

1
2
3
4
5
6
7intersphinx_mapping = {
    'qutip': ('http://qutip.org/docs/latest/', None),
    'python': ('https://docs.python.org/3', None),
    'numpy': ('https://numpy.org/doc/stable/', None),
    'scipy': ('https://docs.scipy.org/doc/scipy/reference/', None),
    'cython': ('https://cython.readthedocs.io/en/latest/', None),
}

but so far I have not been able to find how to associate a reference symbol like :c:func:`PyDataMem_NEW` with the numpy namespace specifically. In the Python role this is generally not much of a problem, as objects tend to come with Python namespaces attached like :py:class:`numpy.ndarray`, but in C APIs like PyDataMem_NEW, we seem to just have to hope that there aren’t any naming collisions.

Another nuisance is the difficulty of working out which symbols should be referenced with which roles. I have found two ways for extracting data about the contents of an object inventory. The first is the “first-class” method, simply by calling the intersphinx module as a Python executable, such as (output shortened)

1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8$ python -msphinx.ext.intersphinx https://numpy.org/doc/stable/objects.inv
c:function
    NPY_AUXDATA_CLONE    reference/c-api/array.html#c.NPY_AUXDATA_CLONE
    NPY_AUXDATA_FREE     reference/c-api/array.html#c.NPY_AUXDATA_FREE
c:var
    NPY_ARRAY_OWNDATA    reference/c-api/array.html#c.NPY_ARRAY_OWNDATA
py:class
    numpy.ndarray        reference/generated/numpy.ndarray.html#numpy.ndarray

This works quickly and can be grep-ed through, but it’s a little inconvenient as often the role (e.g. py:class or c:function) is far away from the item you want to view. A second possibility is the tool sphobjinv, which can be installed via pip. This can use fuzzy matches to search the object database using sphobjinv suggest or simply dump everything out into a nicer form with sphobjinv convert. If you are going to use the suggestion feature, it’s best to install python-levenshtein from either pip or conda, as this implements a much faster matcher.

One problem that I have found is that the Sphinx roles do not always line up with what we expect, even accounting for these two tools outputting the “block directives”, and cross-references needing the “inline directive” form. Currently, the NumPy C flag NPY_ARRAY_OWNDATA is reported to be of type c:var by Sphinx and sphobjinv, but attempting to reference :c:var:`NPY_ARRAY_OWNDATA` fails. I found (by coincidental reference in the NumPy commit history) that the reference should instead be :c:data:`NPY_ARRAY_OWNDATA`, despite the Sphinx website assuring me (dated: 2020-06-29)

c:member, c:data, and c:var are equivalent.

Despite all this, the Sphinx build process has gone smoothly for me, and running make html is fast and easy. I have found that Sphinx likes to serve its static content from a folder called _static, which is somewhat a problem when using GitHub pages, which by default ignores all directory entries which start with an underscore. Fortunately there is a fix for this, but it is not really documented other than by users’ complaints in GitHub issue trackers that things are broken.

The solution is just to drop an empty file called .nojekyll into the root directory that the GitHub pages site is hosted in. This works because GitHub uses Jekyll to convert Markdown and Liquid template files into regular pages, and the special .nojekyll file disables all this processing. We don’t need it anyway, because Sphinx has already done it for us, and much more besides.